15.9.13

Lots of Yarny Goodness from South Africa

Look what the postman brought me a couple of days ago:
A box full of yarny goodness, all the way from South Africa!
A gift from Pigtails, one of the most talented
crocheters, photographers and bloggers around.


ByHaafner, Nikkim Vinnis cotton yarn, pastel, gift from Pigtails




















There was Nikkim Vinnis...
(A cotton I was dying to try for quite a while now.)

ByHaafner, Nikkim Vinnis cotton yarn, pastel, gift from Pigtails





















And more Vinnis...Not only is this yarn very beautiful,
it is hand dyed and balled by women from an economically depressed area of South Africa.
So it empowers women who can really use some empowerment.

ByHaafner, Nikkim Vinnis cotton yarn, gift from Pigtails





















And there was Elle Premier cotton in gorgeous colours...
Looking forward to working with this yarn too!

ByHaafner, Elle Premier Cotton yarn,gift from Pigtails





















Pigtails' colour choice is really spot on,
I simply love all the colours she chose!

ByHaafner, Nikkim Vinnis cotton yarn, wip, scarf, pastel, gift from Pigtails





















So yesterday I have been crocheting like my life was at stake.
Finally I could work with Vinnis, hooray! And it is great.
It's soft and a real treat to crochet with.

I'm making a scarf (hoping to finish it today).
In Sea Green, Stone & Green Slate.

ByHaafner, Nikkim Vinnis cotton yarn, wip, scarf, pastel, gift from Pigtails





















About the pattern: I wanted to make something wavy,
but not lacy, so the amazing texture of this yarn would show at its best.
And when Jeannette pinned this picture yesterday,
I knew at once this would be it. You can find the pattern here.
I'm using a 4,5 mm crochet hook.

Thanks again Pigtails!

♦♦ Have a great & crafty weekend everyone! ♦♦

25 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS!!!!! I am going to order some Vinni yarn, I saw it's available in England. For the scarf did you use the 119 meter/50 gram quality?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :-) Yes, I did use the 119 mtr/50 gr (Vinnis Nikkim) and it is a delight to work with!

      Delete
  2. What an amazing gift! I just want to reach into the computer and quickly grab all the yarn. ;)
    Love her blog, her triangles with the Vinnis yarn from last week are gorgeous. And the little drawing depicting her always makes me smile opening her blog.
    Liefs uit stormachtig Ierland.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeannette! I totally agree with you on everything you wrote above! ;-) Thanks for the inspiration. En sterkte met het stormachtige weer bij jou - hou je haaks ;-) Haafner

      Delete
  3. just beautiful, what a treat! Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful colours combo!!!!! such a beautiful yarn!!!!!
    xxxxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness you took the most beautiful pictures! It was a great honour to be able to send you something from South Africa, especially since I am totally nuts over your work and blog! Your scarf is stunning and I will tell Vinni to take a loo at your blog. Lots of love from the Southern tips of Africa and thank you for the lovely posting and words xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh... That is so kind, i jutst makes me blush. ;-) I'm really hooked on Vinnis now. It's such a dream to work with. Thank you! xhaafner

      Delete
  6. Lucky you! Now be prepared to fall in love forever :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see you're working with the sharper-pointed hook. You might want to try a hook with more rounded point, often the soft grips, e.g. Prym, as the Vinnis tend to split. But it might also not bother you.

      Delete
    2. Agree, I use bamboo hooks from Malaysia which is much smoother than the Elle bamboo and works great with Vinnis. I also find that by relaxing the hand, it works up like a dream.

      Delete
    3. I completely fell in love. ;-) Regarding the hook: Thanks! Mine might look a bit sharper on the photo than in it really is, it's actually fairly round (it's a Prym, I love that brand, my first crochet hook was a Prym!). But I will definitely give it a try with my bamboo hooks too. (I hardly ever use them which is a pity because they're so pretty...)

      BTW: I finished the scarf yesterday, love it! Well, still have to weave in lots of ends I'm afraid...

      Delete
  7. Lovely colors...lovely pattern...
    Have a nice week !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anna, a lovely week to you too! xHaafner

      Delete
  8. Oh my, this looks divine!! Love how it looks, such gorgeous colors and love your scarf pattern!! Thanks so much for sharing the pattern too! I'm off to take a look at it and visit a few blogs! :) Happy sweet day! xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;-) Thanks Holly, I really like this pattern and I think I will use it again. Happy week!

      Delete
  9. Hoi Haafner,

    Ontzettend lief van Pigtails om je die prachtige kleurtjes katoen toe te sturen! Je sjaal wordt prachtig!

    Fijne week!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Madelief, Ja - superlief! Wat is jouw granny kussen met bloem trouwens prachtig... Hartelijke groeten, Haafner

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous yarn and love your newest project!! Happy crocheting!! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this project, the colours are stunning x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am in South Africa and crocheted most often with Vinnis and Bambi which is 100% mix of bamboo and cotton. It is my favorite wool! I have made a blanket out of it for my bedroom which you can see here:http://bouncingbonbon.blogspot.com/2012/03/domestic-bliss.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. SUCH beautiful yarn! And of course stunning crochet...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous colours... I love your crochet works! Am a new follower via bloglovin!
    Amira A http://littlemushroomcap.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete